Tuesday

some original art

the best inspiration
if you want some really fabulous artwork to hang on your walls, there's no need to go to some fancy smancy gallery or spend doodles of dollars....just keep a stack o six by six squares of bristol board and an bin of art supplies handy and ask everyone who walks in the door to draw a self portrait of themselves. at first they'll say...no i don't have time i am not an artist i can't draw a straight line with a ruler....you know - all those things people say when confronted with the possibility of havin to be creative. but you can talk em into it in a nano second...'specially after you gotcherself about six or so hanging in a lil temporary spot and see how incredible they look when smooshed together. once you get really goin with this lil project you'll be hooked for sure and won't ever take no for an answer!

but let's say you have the snooty sort o friends stoppin by on a daily basis that aren't gonna wanna join in the fun? well...don't fret cause there's lots of other ways to get this art going. like...next time you have a birthday party, have all the invitees draw a self portrait or everybody do up some art of the guest o honor. a couple o years in a row i even had each child at mini's school do a self-portrait and then i scanned em & put em all together in a poster that was sold for one o those fund raisin affairs they seem to be always havin. of course, my all time favorites are the ones mini has drawn depictin her version of me durin her life - these are the ones i used to make the quilt i blogged about just about a year ago.

if you like this idea you're gonna be delighted with all the ways you'll end up wantin to use this original art. i have printed big pieces o fabric with it, repeatin it over and over, as well as printed it out to use as gift wrap paper and envelopes and have even decoupaged bits of em on boxes and furniture. if nothin else, at least get your family members to do one up of themselves and the way they see everyone else in your family about once a year and then just put em away until later. when the day comes that you pull em all out, you're gonna be beside yourself with joy that you took on this assignment. and...it's never too late to start!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

MO! Where did you get your brain?! It is very big and full of many wonderful things! I love the art idea! I LOVE CHILDREN's art. It is so... so... free! I mean cost wise and free flowing and STRAIGHT from the heart! I will look into settin up a lil sweat shop of minis so we can start churnin some art out and makin some BUCKS! YEA! j/k!

You are THE BEST!
~MOnet :)

Kpbrutcher of A Digi Memory said...

Now that is what I call some art! I'll bet it really did make for some awesome wrapping paper. I'm thinking Mini should do a line like designer Nicole Miller where she puts her pattern art on pocketbooks, clothes, umbrellas, wallets and everything else you can think of. I'd certainly buy one. ;)

ejj said...

What a fabulous idea! I love the colorful images and wish I could stare at them all up close.

Hollie H said...

This is a great idea. Love all the color and the personal aspect of it. Very cool!

Robin said...

oh my word! i wonder if it would be against any sort of regulations for me to ask my patients to do this sort of like a 'before and after' makeover thing?... so before a session i could ask something like... "how do you feel today" and at the end of the session maybe i could word it somthin; like this; "how do you feel after being cured" do ya think that is a bit too much of a lead on? wow...that could make some fantastic waiting room art as long as i could be choosy and only select the ones i think showed artistic talent and support for the quality of my services..... thanks for the brilliant idea mo! your like a regular top notch ad agency!

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous! I am certainly going to try this one. I can imagine my grands having great fun with this also....AND my community theater friends...whoooo! ~Bev

Anonymous said...

This is so awesome and now I want to do one...that would be fun to do each other at one of our get togethers...you are a brain!!! All of the good ideas on how to use it is great too...I think this is why I don't sleep so good at night, your ideas rolling around in that empty space. I also want to know where was I on Tues. the 23rd when you posted this..geez, oh well, I'm here now.
lots of love,
maggie

Tammy (drewsmama) said...

You are just too creative for words. What a wonderfully clever idea!

teresa said...

that is so cool. I love the idea of this and the result. Wow! Wonder if folks would do that for me?

sue said...

I love it - I think for my daughter's wedding reception, we'll give each guest a sheet of paper and some crayons and let them draw a self portrait. So much better than just writing their names! Mo, you are an inspiration!

RosieB said...

I'm going to give this a try and see if I can get some great wall art too! Great idea of Sue's for the wedding pics