Wednesday

as the doo dad'n detour continues...

thanksgivin'
i have really enjoyed the last week or so makin' and sewin' up christmas presents and goodies for my friend amy's shop, inspirecompany.com. one o the reasons i was enjoyin myself so was cause i knew it wasn't my turn this year to host the thanksgivin' feast. see. we take turns with other more experienced feast hosts and this year one o them was gonna have the pleasure o followin' martha's day by day preparations for the big day while i, mo jackson, got to destroy the doo dad den by yankin' neatly folded fabrics from shelves and jerkin' down carefully organized trims and such from hooks (all lovingly placed so i could easily see what i needed, by my dear cousin jo). even as the newly painted white floor became more and more hidden by bits and pieces of doos and dads i was done with but was too busy to return to their proper home, i continued gleefully snippin' and stitchin' away - knowin' i could maybe clean up at the last minute before donnin' my festive food expandin' frock to depart for my friend's famous flavorful feast. my only concern, before i left to fill my famished face with turkey, dressin' and dozens o desserts i did not have to prepare myself,. was hopin' i could tend to the moland gatekeeper duties i have neglected and upload the three sets o doo dads that have been waitin' to head to the server while i delighted in desiginin real life doo dads.

well...you can imagine how quickly my glee and delight vanished this mornin' when receivin' the news from mini's daddy that this year's hosts called last night to say they had suffered a minor fire in their kitchen and would it be possible to host this year's festivities here at moland instead of their smokey smellin setting. my first thought was to call these fire starters and tell em a lil smoke would be welcome by anyone - everyone who comes to moland always heads right to jo's trailer and not one of em ever complains about eatin in the smokey atmosphere in that trailer o hers. but these feast cancelin' ex-friends don't offer anywhere near the entertainment level jo does so instead, after i sufficiently chastised mini's daddy for not alertin' me to this information the minute he answered yes to the newly smoked unhosts, i hurled my fabric snippin' shears to the cloth covered floor, grabbed those that snip foliage and headed with my cuttin bucket outdoors to see what i could snap off to use for decoratin' for a feast. fifteen minutes later i piled my cuttins' in the ungolf cart and as i headed back to the house i had the good fortune o takin a path that passed by the dumpster where all the pumpkins and gourds left over from the hallowed holiday were sittin, waitin their turn to be dumped. i piled them in with the rest o my gatherin's and two hours after i was considerin' runnin away from home, the shots above reflect my efforts in last minute decoratin.

i will now figure out what to pile on those plates to please the people's palates. i am horrible at pullin together a meal. i would be okay if the meal called for one food item. like a turkey....or cranberry relish. but gettin' all that is expected ready to eat at the same time and clean up the kitchen enough that the guests aren't fearful o eating what originated there is a real challenge for me. i am hopin' mimi and jo make it back from their tour of the coastline in time to help me....or at least to attend and distract the guest's from their hunger with their charm while i serve up one dish at a time!

i do so hope you all have a fabulous thanksgivin' day and while i figure out how to pull off this latest fete, i will certainly give thanks for each and every one o you this worldwide web has allowed me to find!

13 comments:

Kpbrutcher of A Digi Memory said...

Marvelous feast setting you have there Missy. I think you are incredible under pressure. I would be in tears and on the phone with a caterer. lol I should think that Mini's dad will be sleeping on the couch for a few nights after accepting on your behalf. Looks like you need to go pull out the HUSBAND FOR SALE sign again. lol

Monet said...

HAPPY THANKS MO & MOLAND FRIENDS!!!
oh mo! your ability to decorate in such a short time boggles the mind! i was in Walmart the other day and it took me about that long just to figure out which tablecloth i wanted for our turkey day. alas, i was slow to snag one and when i finally decided i wanted to spend the $12.78 on some ugly green linen that i'd only use once a year, they had run out o em or hid 'em somewhere to where i couldn't reach... oh well... $12.78 for me to buy some delightful doo dads with!

Ruthann said...

Thank YOU for the joy you and all my fellow Molandians add to my life!
Wishing you and yours a wonderful day of fun,there's NO dobut in my mind that you'll pull of the feast in your ever so inimitable STYLE!!!

Tracy said...

Mo, I take my hat off to you... the table looks gorgeous and I didn't see one tear drop on the tablecloth! Prince Charmin's darn lucky to have you! Enjoy your day tomorrow and I'll be saying my thanks for you and all of my friends here at Moland.

xoxoxoxo
PS I didn't see any mason jars on the table -- perhaps that's what you used to contain the squirrel so he doesn't cause any trouble tomorrow!

Bucksters said...

well, martha's got nothin' on you, mo!! your table is gorgeous, as are the other decorated altars you've created here in lightnin' fast speed! and i hope that husband o' yours gives mucho thanks tomorrow for his smart, fabulous, talented wife. as for the food, i am sure that it will be delicious. besides, i think pizza is certainly an acceptable option for the old "our kitchen is on fire can you host thanksgiving dinner?" routine, don't you?

happy thanksgiving to all of your family - jo, mini, mimi, ahd that way-too-agreeable husband o' yours. i, too, shall be giving my thanks tomorrow for all of moland - it has brought such laughter & fun to my life!

Janna said...

happy thanksgiving mo

Saucy said...

Dear Mayor Mo, all of us are thankful that a big box of plastic and screws that is filled with wires and nonsense that we plugged into our walls helped us find our way to Moland... and to each other. What a marvelous time we live in to enjoy each other so much over cables and wires and pretty much thin air, all in the comfort of our own home and our minds and hearts tucked safely into Moland. We are all thankful to have our families, our friends, each other, and you.

Have a lovely turkey day whipped up in a whirlwind of creativity.

Pam Stewart said...

Mo, I have a husband like that too! luckily he kept his invites to himself this year. Our son and his wife did the honors and they did a great job.

Like everyone else, I'm amazed at what you can accomplish on such short notice. It amazes me, but does not surprise me. Why else do you think we elected you to be mayor of moland? we all know just how accomplished and special you are!

No that it's over, take some time off and rest!

Anonymous said...

Mo you are a wonder! I feel so inspired by your way of lookin' at life

Jodi
jsher

wings said...

with bee-yoo-tiful decorations like these, i'd guess no one would pay attention to the food. you could make 'em tuna fish sandwiches and it would be okay (especially if you had lots of wine--i guess it would need to be white). And chocolate--chocolate always saves the day.

so, did you just happen to have a turkey handy? you headed to the garden instead of to the grocery store? (i'd send the hugely misbehavin' husband to fetch the food.) you work wonders with gourds & pumpkins--i think they're much better on tables with candles than in pies.

p.s. if jo is headin' this way, would you ask her if she'd help me in my doo dad room for a bit? I'll serve her sweet-potato-pecan pie and chocolate martinis to keep her energy up.

Trish said...

Gorgeous table, Mo! Glad you were able to pull it off without having a breakdown! Pretty impressive!

Rosa said...

How beautiful! I especially love the centerpiece. Of course, it's beautiful!!

melissa said...

Dang!!! i want to be you. hahaha. christmas is at my house this yr and i dont think with all the plannin (kinda plannin) have i come up with an ounce of what u did in 2 hrs. again - i bow to you! this is just beautiful and i know was enjoyed by all. u and moland and my mo mates all made the list of things i am thankful for. love ya