Wednesday

my cheatin' quilts....

cheatin' quiltspeakin' o' havin' a bad memory....long ago when i first started the bloggin' i tried to convince doo dad'ers everywhere to step away from the scrapbooks and experiment with their vaults o' treasured digital deliveries in other venues. i put up a view o' a quilt i made with a portrait mini gave me for mother's day made by printin' out the art on one big piece o' fabric and then doin' the quiltin'....rather than cuttin' all the lil pieces and sewin' 'em together as in traditional quiltin'. i had promised to blog up some more examples of this technique and then plum forgot to do so....so...it may be two year's late but here it is!

pictured here are three o' the many quiltin' projects made in this cheatin' way: pink girls for one o' my best friends judy, a canine cover for mini's daddy featurin' every dog he ever owned (the ones that are no longer with us are wearin' halos) and one i started for mini's fifth grade teacher bordered with a lil pieced pupil for each student along with their names. i never did give it to her...this was the year i abandoned mini for the first time to be with my mom before she died and the teacher was less than kind and understandin' to the situation. i must admit to takin' great pleasure recently in choppin' it to bits to make a new set o' doo dads for moland...where everyone is always kind and understandin'!

if you want to give a cheatin' quilt a whirl you can get some warm up instructions in my blog from may 2005 - i can't remember how to make a link so copy and paste this in your browser bar: http://mojackson.blogspot.com/2005/05/mini-mos-quilted-mom.html. after that just do a bit o' googlin' and you'll have no problem findin' a flurry o' better information than i offered up. if you do end up makin' somethin' please send me a picture as i'd love to see!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxomo

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of cheating quilts as I can't sew a lick! lol Love the doggie one with the halos. That is so precious. I am not even going to ask what you have to put on quilts for Jo and Mimi. lol I hope to see more of these doo dad creations soon. Love the quilts.

Peggy

Christa said...

love the cheating quilts my dear mo.. I am with peggy and cannot quilt to save my life.. lol anyway, this is lovely and these quilts are real special with it made especially with all the things one loves.. the doggie quilt for mini's daddy is wonderful.. hugs and I love to hear your little stories mo.. hugs,.,christa

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I'm feelin' the quiltin' bug biting now! Love these, especially mini's daddy's doggy quilt and the portrait of mini and... betty? I wish I had some hand sewing ready to take with me tomorrow... these are so inspiring!

Thanks mo!! xooxxooxo
Tracy

robin said...

they don't look a bit like you were cheatin'! are you sure these aren't made with real thread and needles?!?! i love the dog one.. what a fabulous memory keeper that is :) i'm afraid i would need one the size of a king size bed due to bein' around this world lovin' my pets for so many decades ;)
xo robin

ejj said...

How clever of you, mo! My favorite is the one with the dogs.

Rebecca said...

Wow, Mo! I can not get over how creative you are! I love those quilts you made and the story about the quilt you made for mini's teacher and then never gave her because she was not being a very nice person.. She really missed out- good enough that you didn't give it to her she was unworthy!! I love looking at al your fantastic creations and thank you for sharing them all with us.. Oh and by the way, I am drooling over that chocolate cupcake/muffin you have on this page! Looks delcious!

Maija said...

I'm so sorry about your mom, mo. I'm going to have to deal with hte same thing....my mom has lung cancer.

kpollinger said...

The quilts are adorable - especially the doggies!

Rosa said...

If it's easier than real quilting, it's worth giving it a whirl. I finished one (I repeat, ONE) square to a quilt and gave up. Use it as a hot pad now! hehe

Jan, aka Milly & Nana Sugar someday... said...

My grown son and his wife were home this weekend, and as I made up the guestroom bed, I used a quilt my Grandma had made for me some 50 odd years ago. Oh what pleasure it gives me for me them to snuggle underneath it. This is such a good idea, I come from a family of quilters, and I could make myself one heck of a cheatin' quilt with the stack I have... You do have the best ideas, Missy Mo...

Jan/MaggieMoo